Material development for 5x30 through renderings
After I developed the initial interior renderings for project 5x30, my friend’s restaurant and apartment renovation, my next step was to refine the designs through several draft renderings. One of the benefits of using Autodesk’s Revit software is that I can send several draft renderings to the cloud for free and get an updated render within minutes. So I reviewed each of the initial draft renderings, came up with some minor changes to the design, and modified materials.
Restaurant and bar modifications
In my initial rendering for the restaurant and bar, the composition of the different furniture, lights, and materials made the open space feel chaotic and unorganized. In particular, the wood chairs looked like it came from an old estate sale, the concrete floor made the space feel cold and acoustically loud, the red fabric on the booths drew too much attention, and the lights have an industrial aesthetic. In other words, there were too many styles coming together and there was a need to create a balanced composition.
As I went through the Revit model, I decided to change the wood chairs for one that was both smaller and thinner, the concrete floor was changed to a java colored hardwood, all of the wood veneer was changed to a stained oak, the fabric on the booths were changed to a pastel blue and the lighting fixtures were changed to a pastel blue contemporary tear drop. With these changes, all of the materials and aesthetics of the furniture came together to create a balanced composition.
While reviewing the initial render of one of the studio apartments, I found many elements that were missed in the material application process. In particular, the floor was set as a default grey, the two smaller windows had their standard wood material, and most of the walls were grey because they were set to the existing phase in Revit. I also thought that the material of the counters and the pendant lights didn’t work well with the space.
So in the revision process of the Revit model, I decided that the counters would be a butcher block style counter and the floors would be a matching hardwood pattern. I went through all of the walls in the apartment and temporarily changed their phase to new construction so that they would render with the proper materials and I changed the material of the windows to white paint. The last modification I made was changing the pendant lights to the contemporary ones used in the restaurant downstairs.
With the design of the restaurant and apartment moving along, my next steps are to develop demolition drawings so that my friend’s contractor can get started and to do a bit of research into the structural capability of the building. In the building, there are several areas that I’m concerned about and I’d like to be sure that everything is safe while the contractor demolishes nearly all of the interior walls of the apartments.
I’ll also be meeting up with my friend to give him the set of demolition drawings for his building permit, discussing the renderings (without entourage or Photoshop) and asking him for his thoughts on having skylights in both apartments. We’ll also discuss his construction funds and determine a feasible timeframe to get this project finished.
There’s a lot to get done and a lot to learn from this project and I’m happy that I could be working with such a great friend of mine on our first project together!
Thank you for reading and for joining me on my journey as an Architect!